Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Semi-Facetious Homily on Hands

I am currently learning how to knit. My best friend attempted to teach me several weeks ago without success. This was not due to failure on her part, or mine, for that matter. The fact of the matter is: I am left-handed. In case you didn't know, knitting is totally opposite when you are left-handed. Many would call me "backwards" or "wrong-handed" or "D.C." (you know who you are). I choose to refer to myself as "gifted". In any case, knitting is just one of countless illustrations of "lefty discrimination" in our culture. Although our left-handedness is God-given, the world accommodates only right-handed people. There are so many things that right-handed people take for granted. For example: playing cards. My husband and some of my friends have heard this one from me on numerous occasions. So, instead of continuously telling them of my woes each time we play cards, I now carry my left-handed cards (which are really both-handed) in my purse at all times. If you don't understand why I would need left-handed cards, grab a deck so I can explain. Put 6-8 cards in your hand and fan them out. Do you see the number in the left-hand corner? Well, when I fan normal (right-handed) cards, I don't see that number. I see the white spot in the upper right-hand corner. Doesn't really work so well. So, my left-handed cards have the number in both corners in order to accommodate all people. And the game "PIT" - can't even play it. People are screaming out "Hay" and "Barley" and playing the game right in front of me while I can only awkwardly (and very slowly) organize the cards in my hand. By the time I see what I have, half the game has been played...it just doesn't work. As you can see, this is one minor thing that is burdensome to those of us who were chosen by God to bear this special gift. Other more important tasks which are difficult (or could be if we don't adapt to the culture) include the following: using scissors, writing in a three-ring binder or spiral notebook, using a computer mouse, writing with pencil or markers (we smear it), using an angled spatula or other angled kitchen utensil, setting a watch, etc., etc., etc. As far as the knitting goes, I recently spoke to a woman in the airport about my dilemma (because she was knitting-I am not a total loser). She told me that she taught her left-handed sister by having her sit across from her and mirroring everything she did. Sounds great, right? Well, my sister and I tried that the other day and IT DOESN'T WORK! Liz is a good teacher, but the difference in our "handedness" has been an obstacle to the learning process. We'll keep trying...

1 comment:

Ashley Nicole said...

hey! what a fantastic picture! I cannot for the life of my figure out how to put one on mine??
Great joining of the blogging life--I'm enjoying it, even though I thought I never would either! But it's wonderful to keep up to date!
Take care!
Ashley Nicole